Tuesday, February 24, 2009

what have I been up to

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I have good reason. :) A couple weeks ago, I made my regular 34 week trip to the hospital to stop contractions. They were every 4 minutes, so they gave me a shot of terbutaline to get them stopped. It only took one shot. The rest of that week, though, I was just worn out and had some swelling in my ankles and hands. We had several doctors appointments as well. I kept thinking "I hope the next month or so isn't all like this." Thankfully, the next week, I had a return of energy. It has continued this week. So, I have been trying to make good use of the time and get things accomplished. Last week we got the house all cleaned up. The baby's clothes are clean and folded and in the drawers. The carseat is ready to go and we have a pack of diapers (and a few other needed supplies). Finally, I was feeling like it would be ok if she were to come. I felt a little more ready. I still have several things that I would like to take care of before she comes, but the necessities are done.

I have chilled enough that I even took time yesterday to do a completely unnecessary project. I made a messenger bag that I've been wanting to make with some fun fabric that I bought just because I could. I made it using a free tutorial over at Heart of Mary. I did a couple things different, however. I didn't use the interfacing because the fabric I was using was pretty thick. In hindsight, however, I think it would have been better if I had gone ahead and used it. I also left off the zipper on the inside of the bag (as much as anything because I didn't have the right kind). This was, however, my first adventure with zippers. I concluded that I really do need a zipper foot for my sewing machine! I'm happy with the end result, though. Now, I just have to decide how to use my new bag. This morning, Caroline spotted it and told me that it was a "pretty bag". I think I might make her a mini bag like mine or maybe a different style with the same fabrics (I have plenty). Anyway, there is one picture below. If you'd like to see a couple more, you can check them out over at Flickr.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Jennifer, that bag looks GREAT! MAN, how I envy your sewing talent.... :P

j.j. said...

Very cute bag!
I hope you continue to have energy and experience no more contractions this early and that baby stays inside at least a few weeks longer ;)
Have you had this with all three children? It seems like I remember it with Caroline...

JM said...

I made a trip to the hospital at 34 weeks with all three. At this point, it would be ok if the baby comes since she should be fully developed now.